Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Twelve Clues of Christmas

Title: The Twelve Clues of Christmas
Author: Rhys Bowen
Series: Her Royal Spyness, book 6
Genre: Mystery
Published: 2012

Review: I took a bit of a hiatus from the blog -- it's been a busy 4-6 weeks for me and I didn't read a whole lot meanwhile. However, I did finish The Twelve Clues of Christmas back in October without ever writing a review, so I thought I would catch up with a really short review here.

The book begins with Georgiana staying for holidays with Binky and his wife in Scotland and desperately looking for a way to leave. She finds an advertisement in a magazine, looking for a well-bred hostess to help a Christmas party and lands the job. Most of the events take place in a very picturesque English village, where strange murders begin the day Georgiana arrives and continue apace once a day. Of course, it just so happens that Darcy, Georgie's mother, and grandfather all end up at the village as well, so we have a full cast for the book.

Overall, it was a quick and satisfying book. Things progress quite a bit on the relationship front with Darcy, which is nice to see after so many books of will-he/will-he-not. There is a colorful cast of guests at the house and I very much enjoyed the cosy atmosphere of the novel. They eat extremely well, drink delicious hot drinks, play charades and sardines, and decorate the tree. I think the book plays quite a bit on general Christmas sentiment, but I enjoyed that and I really liked that the author actually included the rules for some of the arcane games they play in the novel as an appendix to the book. It sounds like something that would be fun to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment